October 20, 2017



So, here is my first ever blog post, I’m going to try and blog once a week (okay we all know that shit’s not gonna happen – but I promise I’ll try!). I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes February 8th, 2016, but many months before that I was experiencing some super weird symptoms. I found myself constantly thirsty – I would down litres of water and still couldn’t be satisfied, I was always going to the bathroom every half an hour, I lost a shitload of weight (I’d kill to be that skinny again seriously it was amazing haha!) and I had what I thought was my period for 6 weeks straight. And look – I hate going to the doctors so I’m one of those people who avoid them at all costs, so that’s what I did, ignored it. I justified my excuses by thinking I was ran down, I just started working a second job and was working 70+ hours a week, so I really thought nothing of it. 


I still remember my work friend and I sitting in the office googling my symptoms and joking that it could be diabetes, but that’ll never happen to me, right? I finally went to the doctors and only 2 hours after I got my blood test done I got a call from my doctor saying to go to the hospital immediately. With tears streaming down my face I went to the hospital they requested me to go to. My blood sugars were too off the chart for them to get a reading (they started to get a reading at 40mmol (!!!!)) and there were staff waiting for me to put me in a coma. They were baffled by the fact that I felt 100% fine, was walking or wasn’t passed out, so no coma for me! 


For the next few hours, I was a human pin cushion, I had needles in both my arms and hands, handful of doctors and nurses pricking me, asking about my symptoms and whatnot. The girl next to me in emergency kept vomiting, so this alone was making my experience 1000x worse, I was pretty determined to get out of there asap. 


I finally got moved from emergency up to a suite, and had to spend the rest of the night there and I was giving myself insulin shots and testing my own blood sugars a few hours later. I stayed up the entire night catching up on some work and trying to process what the rest of my life is going to be like and making sure I sprinkled some cries every now and then. Also the fire alarm blaring all night wasn’t making it easy to sleep either (this fucking hospital I swear). 


In the morning I was bombarded with specialists, dieticians and educators, giving me large chunks of information left, right and centre. Even though I was so overwhelmed and had no idea what I was doing, I was still allowed to go home that day, yayyyaaa! 


For about 2 weeks after my diagnosis, I cried myself to sleep, but at the same time I knew I had to be strong. One night I decided to look at #t1d hashtags on Instagram and found an entire community who was in the exact same boat as me, and since that day, I’ve never really cried about it. Knowing that you’re not alone dealing with a disease is such an incredible feeling. Back when I was sitting in hospital I was thinking that I’d have to eat healthy for the rest of my life and cut a lot of delicious food out, but here I am, eating more burritos and pasta I have ever eaten and having an HBA1C of 5.4 mmol.


Diabetes has changed my life, but certainly for the better. It’s taught me patience, resilience and to NEVER judge anyone, just because they’re happy and healthy on the outside, doesn’t mean it’s the same on the inside. It’s taught me to enjoy the little things in life and to never take a day of being healthy for granted. 

Please reload

DEAD PANCREAS GANG © Raffael Purcell 2017 |             @raffael.typeone  

Accepted payments: